- Natural Dry Mouth Treatments & Remedies
Natural Dry Mouth Treatments & Remedies
If you are one of the 20 percent of Americans who suffer from symptoms of dry mouth, there are several easy home remedies and treatments which can bring about some relief. While we always advise seeing your primary care physician first to rule out any more serious causes, dry mouth is frequently brought on by such simple causes as dehydration or as the side effect of taking certain medications.
Here are seven natural treatments to help with dry mouth. These will not cure dry mouth, but they will help to alleviate the symptoms and offer some relief:
- Drink plenty of water. It is estimated that only 34% of Americans drink the recommended eight glasses of water per day they are supposed to have to stay hydrated. Since dehydration is a common cause of dry mouth, increasing your fluid intake can certainly help. It is also best to avoid caffeine, which is a known diuretic and can contribute to dehydration.
- Cut down on tobacco and alcohol, which are known to worsen the symptoms of dry mouth.
- Chewing on sugar-free gum or candy is a good way to stimulate saliva production and decrease the symptoms of dry mouth.
- Focus on dental hygiene, and be sure to brush and floss after every meal. Increased attention to good oral care can protect your mouth, teeth, and gums from the effects of dry mouth.
- Wash your mouth with a simple mixture of salt and warm water every night before bed. This reduces the acidity of your mouth and provides some soothing relief prior to sleep.
- Learn to breathe through your nose. Mouth-breathing is another common contributor to dry mouth, as continually taking air in via the mouth further dries out the oral cavity and exacerbates the problem.
- Environmental conditions are often the culprit of some dry mouth conditions. You can help combat these environmental factors in your home by putting in an air filter, humidifier, or other appliance to help moisten the air in your home.
These seven suggestions can help you manage the symptoms of dry mouth. However, sometimes these ideas and tips by themselves are just not enough to provide adequate relief.
NATURAL SALIVA STIMULANTS
Over-the-counter saliva stimulants--such as OraCoat® XyliMelts® for Dry Mouth--are another tool that can be used in conjunction with other natural remedies and lifestyle changes to fight the symptoms of dry mouth. Saliva stimulants like this are a good choice for people who suffer from dry mouth and are looking for more powerful natural relief before seeking out prescription drugs.
XyliMelts oral adhering discs are an all-natural remedy, made without any animal products, dyes, artificial flavors, or preservatives. Its main ingredient is xylitol, a natural food substance found in plants that coats the mouth to stimulate saliva and inhibit bacteria growth which may reduce the risk of tooth decay. In addition to 500 mg of xylitol, XyliMelts discs release a soothing oral lubricant to moisturize the mouth, which in turn promotes comfort through-the-night comfort.
- Symptoms of Xerostomia / Dry Mouth
- Common Causes of Dry Mouth
- Bad Breath / Halitosis Symptoms
- Xylitol & Bad Breath Treatment
- Morning Breath
- Treat Dry Mouth from Diabetes
- Treat Dry Mouth from CPAP Machine Use
- Cancer Treatment and Dry Mouth
- Mouth Sores Treatment & Causes
- Mouth Ulcer Treatment: Q&A